Friday, January 11, 2013

Ramp Construction

 Here's my truck a 1950 chevy 3100 half ton. one of the previous owners "paint bombed" it a cranberry red. The truck has been lowered and is so low I couldn't get under it. The truck is registered and tagged. I didn't want to jack it up every time I needed to get under it, I want to do my best to keep it  running while I repair it. Thus I decided to build some ramps long enough to drive up on and sturdy enough to feel comfortable going under the truck. As you can see I only have 8" clearance above the truck. I decided to build the ramps 5 3/4 inches high. The main structure is made from 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. This page pretty much shows the construction. I think I spent more on deck screws than on the wood. Approx cost was about $150. I do get nervous when I drive up on them If I were to do it again I would make them 15" or 18" wide instead of 12". The design makes it simple to add on if I really need it I can easily make it wider by screwing some 2x4's to one side and build it up the same way.

In the garage 8" overhead clearance

12'L x 12" W, each cross piece is 9"
Screw 3, 12' 2x4 across the top


Cut a 42" 2x6 from corner to corner
 to get to equal sides
Add a layer of 3/4" plywood across the top

Finished product, Add a couple of stop blocks from scratch


No comments:

Post a Comment