Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Chevy 3100

This is my 1950 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton pickup truck. The engine is a 235, with a 3 speed manual transmission. It still has the torque tube and original rear end.  The pictures on this post were taken by the previous owner.   The previous owners did some work on the engine giving it a new carb, coil, plugs, distributor, starter, and manifold gaskets. One also put in a new gas tank. The front end has a speedway drop axle and new drag link.  The transmission leaks,  and the engine is leaking oil up front somewhere. The previous owner had also purchased a T5 transmission,  drive shaft, and picked up a rear-end from a 66 1/2 ton Chevy with a 3.73 rear end. These were all included in the purchase. I haven't decided if I'm going to use them or rebuild the rear end with a new pinion and ring.




While I figure out what to do with the Engine and transmission, I'll be doing some body work. I signed up for  an evening auto body class at the local Vo-Tech high school. I'll be taking the drivers side front fender off and will pick up a patch panel, then cut out the rusted section and weld in the patch. The welding class I took  two years ago will come in handy. I have also picked up a pair of running boards, the driver side running board had a bad Bondo job done to it. I figured replacing it would be easier than trying to grind out the Bondo. The replacements are solid with no holes and will only need to be stripped, and painted.



No comments:

Post a Comment